Chaos is said to have broken out at the Kuje
on Monday, August 29.
Sources have revealed that riot broke out in Kuje
Prison on Monday morning, August 29, just as
officials arrived at the facility for their routine
A top prison official, who cannot be named
because he is not authorized to speak on the
matter, told newsmen that the crisis started at
about 10.30am from one of the blocks and spread
to other blocks within the facility.
He said a team of security operatives had been
drafted to the facility to contain the uprising but
could not tell whether any inmate had escaped.
Another source said inmates had been locked up
while heavily armed security operatives fire teargas
towards inmates’ cells.
“There is heavy shooting now,” a source said . “The
whole place is in confusion. All the inmates have
been locked in their cells but the security
operatives are shooting teargas into the cells,” the
“We don’t know what happened but it seems there
is serious trouble here. There are so many armed
security operatives all over the place.”
Premium Times reports that the spokesperson of
the Nigerian Prison Service, Francis Enobore,
confirmed the incident when contacted.
“We have received report of a problem in Kuje
Prision but give me a little time to get the facts on
it as some of our men are already on ground to
handle the situation,” he said.
“We are monitoring what is happening. I will revert
to you as soon we get more detail from our men
on the ground.”
There have been increasing cases of jailbreaks in
On July 30, not less than 13 inmates escaped from
Koton Karfe prison in Kogi state.
Ten days later, no fewer than 15 inmates at the
Federal Prisons in Nsukka, Enugu state
, escaped in another jailbreak that reportedly took
place late in the evening.
Also this August, about 14 inmates of the Abakaliki
prison in Ebonyi state capital
, were feared killed during a jailbreak bid under the
cover of a prison riot.
The Civil Defence, Fire, Immigration and Prisons
Services Board (CDFIPB) has declared 3 senior
prisons officers serving in Kuje Medium Security
prison and 3 other senior officers serving in Koton
Karfe prison dismissed.
The decision was taken during an emergency
meeting on Thursday, August 11, 2016. They were
found guilty of complicity in the escape of
prisoners from the mentioned prisons.
The announcement was made public by an official
statement released by Francis Enobore, the
spokesperson of the Nigerian prison service, on
Monday. The dismissal letters dated August 12,
2016 were signed by the Secretary to the Board
Alhaji A A Ibrahim