League Cup wrap: Two Premier League sides knocked out but Chelsea and Liverpool advance


Watford and West Brom were the big casualties in
the second round of the EFL Cup
while the rest of
the Premier League sides in action on Tuesday
night all advanced in normal time.
Watford went down 2-1 at Gillingham after extra
The Hornets were eight minutes from progressing
themselves having led through Odion Ighalo but
Mark Byrne levelled and Bradley Dack, who had
missed a penalty in the second half, grabbed the
winner in the 102nd minute to eliminate last year’s
FA Cup semi-finalists.

Tony Pulis’ Baggies also squandered a lead they
had held up until the 82nd minute as Northampton
booked their passage through to the third round
courtesy of a 4-3 penalty shoot-out success.
The Cobblers led through Zander Diamond and
though West Brom went ahead after strikes from
James McClean and Gareth McAuley, Alex Revell
forced extra-time as he made it 2-2.
The extra half hour finished without further goals to
send the match to a shoot-out. Saido Berahino
missed from 12 yards and James Morrison’s effort
was saved, allowing Kenji Gorre to convert and
eliminate the Baggies.
The seven other top-flight sides encountered few
problems. Antonio Conte’s Chelsea were made to
sweat by League One Bristol Rovers, and brought
on Eden Hazard and John Terry from the bench,
but went through at Stamford Bridge courtesy of a
3-2 win in which new signing Michy Batshuayi
scored twice, while Adama Diomande claimed a
double as Hull came from behind to beat Exeter
Former England striker Peter Crouch bagged a hat-
trick, completing his treble with an acrobatic
scissor kick, in his first appearance of the season
as Stoke defeated Stevenage 4-0 and his old club
Liverpool also progressed courtesy of a 5-0 rout of
Burton, with Daniel Sturridge claiming the fourth
and fifth goals.

Swansea, winners of this competition in 2013, beat
Peterborough 3-1, Crystal Palace were 2-0 winners
over Blackpool on a night when £27million signing
Christian Benteke played 45 minutes on his debut
and Everton recorded a 4-0 triumph over Yeovil at
Goodison Park.
Of the non-Premier League clubs who progressed,
Norwich did so in the most style with a 6-1
success over Coventry while Brighton’s 4-2 victory
came on the road at Oxford thanks to three late
Shane Duffy marked his return to the Blackburn
side with the winner in their topsy-turvy tie with
Crewe, who were beaten 4-3 after extra time in
front of just over 3,000 at Ewood Park.
Duffy, who had been suspended following his
dismissal at Cardiff, when he scored two own
goals, headed home after Rovers had fought back
from being 2-0 down early on.
Derby needed a marathon penalty shoot-out to
knock out Carlisle, the Rams eventually going
through 14-13 following a 1-1 draw after 120
Reading also went through on spot-kicks having
drawn 2-2 with MK Dons, though the manner of
their victory on penalties was considerably smaller
at 4–2.
Championship clubs Leeds, Nottingham Forest,
QPR, Wolves and Bristol City were all victors by
one-goal margins over Luton, Millwall, Rochdale,
Cambridge and Scunthorpe respectively, and
Newcastle avoided a banana skin against
Cheltenham with a 2-0 triumph, the same
scoreline which Preston recorded against Oldham.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s